4 million reasons to apply for funding

11 Oct 2012 10:56 AMJann Stuckey

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Newman Government says there is still time for regional tourism organisations (RTOs) to apply for funding through the Contestable Grants Scheme.

Minister for Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and the Commonwealth Games Jann Stuckey said there is almost $4 million up for grabs.

“I encourage all 13 RTOs to apply for a share in the $3.89 million in additional funding that the Newman Government has made available,” Ms Stuckey said.

“At the DestinationQ Forum held in June, we committed to doubling funds available to RTOs.”
Ms Stuckey said RTOs had been encouraged to develop projects in partnership with other organisations and groups to maximise the impact of their application.

“This new Contestable Grants Scheme is administered by Tourism Queensland,” she said.

“Applicants should submit proposals that will help us to reach our goal of doubling overnight visitor expenditure to $30 billion by 2020.

“RTOs play a leading role in the tourism sector and successful applicants will be able to use the additional funds to drive marketing and development activity.”

All RTOs will still receive their share of the $3.11 million in core funding already provided.

“The doubling of funding clearly demonstrates the importance of tourism to the Newman Government,” she said.

“While Labor ignored RTOs, we have recognised tourism as one of the four pillars of the economy and are doing all we can to return Queensland to the country’s number one tourist destination.”

Applications for the Contestable Grants Scheme close on 19 October, 2012.

[ENDS] 10 October 2012