Stuckey encourages students to enter 2015 Premier’s ANZAC Prize

22 Apr 2014 3:59 PMJann Stuckey

22 April 2014

Currumbin secondary students are being urged to enter the 2015 Premier’s Anzac Prize for their chance to experience the historic Anzac Day centenary commemoration at Gallipoli next year.

Member Currumbin, Jann Stuckey MP said it would be great to have local high school students among the 70 state-wide who attend next year’s 100th anniversary of the Anzac campaign at Gallipoli.

“The 2015 Premier’s Anzac Prize presents a wonderful once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for our students to attend the centenary commemorations and learn a little more about our ANZAC history and their ongoing legacy,” Ms Stuckey said.

“Every year the participating students are the envy of their peers as they travel half way across the globe to honour Australian service men and women.

“Students from Year 8 to Year 11 are eligible to enter the competition and must submit an original two to five minute multimedia presentation on how the Anzac tradition has shaped the nation, why it is still important and how future generations can keep the spirit alive.

“Those students who participated in my annual ANZAC Day Essay Competition this year will be prepared to submit a presentation and be eligible to win this coveted state- wide prize.

Entries opened on 20 April and close on 19 September 2014.

Minister for Education, Training and Employment John-Paul Langbroek farewelled the 2014 Premier’s Anzac Prize winners on April 19 at the Queensland Museum, presenting the students with poppies, commemorative items and a wreath to be laid at Gallipoli.

The five students and their two teacher chaperones embarked on their two-week journey to Gallipoli and the Western Front on 20 April.

“The Premier’s Anzac Prize provides an unforgettable educational experience which helps ensure important lessons of the past are learned and that we keep the Anzac spirit alive,” Mr Langbroek said.

Queenslanders can follow the 2014 journey online and view the reports, photos and footage from past winners at:

http://education.qld.gov.au/students/grants/scholarships/anzac/index.html

The first Premier’s Anzac Prize contingent travelled to Turkey, Belgium and France last year as part of the program – a $1.442 million election commitment.

 

The 2014 Premier’s Anzac Prize farewell was held at the Remember me: the lost diggers of Vignacourt exhibition at the Queensland Museum, which is the first stop for the Australian War Memorial’s touring collection.

 

The photographs, of mostly unidentified World War One Australian soldiers, were discovered in the attic of a French farmhouse three years ago. http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/photographs/vignacourt/

 

[ENDS] 20 April 2014