Travellers returning to Queensland in droves

17 Sep 2012 3:55 PMJann Stuckey

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Travellers are returning to Queensland in droves with impressive new figures confirming that Queensland is open for business.

Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and the Commonwealth Games Minister, Jann Stuckey, said in the month of July almost three million passenger movements were recorded across our domestic and international airports.

“This is an increase of more than five per cent on the same time last year and is more evidence that Queensland is most definitely open for business,” Ms Stuckey said.

“From Coolangatta to Cairns the skies are buzzing and it’s an even more exciting prospect with additional China Southern and China Eastern flights still to come.”

Airports across the state have seen significant passenger increases with the most impressive figures coming out of the Gold Coast.

“Gold Coast Airport has experienced a jump of more than 10 per cent across its domestic and international terminals and this is before Qantas begins direct flights from Sydney,” she said.

Brisbane Airport had almost 2 million passenger movements while Cairns and Mackay experienced more than a five per cent hike.

“Cairns domestic saw almost 350,000 passenger movements making July 2012 the busiest month ever recorded at the airport.” she said.

“The Newman Government is determined to return Queensland to its rightful place as Australia’s number one tourist destination,”

The LNP has committed $8 million to its Attracting Aviation Investment Fund and will continue to encourage new routes to bring even larger numbers of tourists to the state.

[ENDS] 23 August 2012